One year ago, I made the decision to get a puppy, a high-energy, golden lab to be exact. Over the months, I’ve had moments of ah-ha, realizing as my puppy turned into a full adult dog that she was and is, in fact, smarter than me. These are some of the very valuable lessons that I have learned from Ruby.
1. Find the thing in life you enjoy the most and do it constantly… practically obsessively.
2. Nothing cures a boo-boo, bad mood or fight like the touch from your loved one… Even if you have to pin ‘em down.
3. If something scares you, don’t approach it… Make a noise and back away or run like the wind in the opposite direction. (Strollers, skateboards and bikes all have evil dog spirits.)
4. There is no reason not to curl up and take a nap whenever you feel like it.
5. If food is left out, looks abandoned or just smells good, eat it… Then run for cover.
6. Things don’t last forever… Tear your toys to pieces before someone else can lay claim.
7. Exercise makes you feel better and helps you sleep like a rock.
8. Listen to others, even if you don’t initially want to. (Ruby, sit. Stay.)
9. Have no guilt about eating a treat whenever it is offered.
10. And most of all – Be appreciative of your friends… Greet them like you haven’t seen them in years, even if it’s only been minutes.
Have you learned any valuable life lessons from your pup? Share with us, we’d love to hear!