We want to thank you for an amazing 2012-2013 ski and ride season here at Heavenly Mountain Resort! To recap the whole season is pretty tough, from sunny groomer days, to powder tree-skiing, huge events, parks laps, Unbuckle parties, spring skiing, fireworks and more, it has been awesome.
We asked some guests and employees, and we broke it down to the top 20 things to be remembered about the 2012-2013 ski and ride season:
1. Lots of powder days in December – We had a record breaking snowfall total for the month of December 2012, lots of Mott, Killebrew, and Milky Way Bowl runs, plus great tree-skiing laps were had. Video.
2. Sunny bluebird days – There were an astounding number of perfectly sunny and blue sky days, with light winds and of course amazing views. It reminds us of how lucky we are to be able to live in or travel to a place like this and be outdoors all day long. Video.
3. Park laps galore in the improved parks – We had numerous reports that this year’s High Roller Parks were better than ever, and in each of the three parks Groove, Ante Up and High Roller, they seemed to add all sizes of features for different ability levels, so you could find some smaller jumps and jibs in High Roller next to the big ones. Video of Ante Up Park.
4. Bloody Mary’s at Tamarack Lodge – Pictures upon pictures of the irresistible Bloody Mary’s at Tamarack Lodge had everyone going back for more. The Adirondack Chairs were perfect for kicking back in and enjoying the sun with a drink in hand.
5. Unbuckle parties – The Unbuckle apres parties were better than ever with a new set-up, the live DJ, attractive Heavenly Angels in new outfits, half-price drinks, appetizer specials, dancing, EpicMix photos and a whole lot of fun.
6. Booyah’s afternoons – The new Booyah’s sit-down restaurant in Lakeview Lodge provided us with 250,000 combinations of burgers, build your own burger menus, 97 micro brews to pick from (representing the 97 trails), they played the sports game you didn’t want to miss, and the deck was the place to be to catch some sun.
7. Heavenly Holidays – This two week event during the holiday season in December, had everyone very happy and in the holiday spirit. From Santa’s Workshop Snow Globe, ice skating, Ice Skating Spectacular shows, ice sculpting, fireworks, the Gondola ball drop on New Year’s Eve, live music, face painting, fire dancers, photo booths and games – it was a blast. Video.
8. Opening of the halfpipe – Heavenly hadn’t had a halfpipe in 5 years, and this year it was brought back in High Roller Park. Standing 18′ high, it wasn’t too intimidating for beginners and it was still big enough for the advanced riders and skiers to learn tricks in. With the best view from a halfpipe in the country, we were glad it came back. Video.
9. Skyway to Heavenly – As a take-off from last year’s Highway to Heavenly, party-goers in Los Angeles had a chance to come dressed up to a beach party, get taken on the Red Bull party bus, take a private flight up to lake Tahoe, get VIP service at Heavenly, stay in a suite at MontBleu, party the weekend away with fresh cash in their pockets and ski/ride Heavenly all weekend long, expenses paid. I wonder where it will go next year. Video.
10. Tahoe Snowcial – The 5th annual social media and ski/party conference not to miss happened February 27 – March 2. Top notch marketers were there speaking from Facebook, GoPro, Caesars Entertainment, Walmart Labs, Tether, Nestle, Deloitte Digital and Aisle50. The parties kept going until the morning hours, the skiing was a blast, and all of the conference attendees got to learn from, speak to, and ski with some of the best strategists from top companies. Video.
11. EpicMix Racing and photos – New this year was EpicMix Racing. We kept hearing of people getting addicted to it. Once you raced once, you wanted to keep beating your time and trying again. The EpicMix Photographers were out and about all year too grabbing everyone’s funny moments from the season for free.
12. U.S. Freestyle Championships – This was one of the local favorite events. With Heavenly’s history in moguls, alpine and freestyle skiing, guests were pleased to see the return of the moguls, dual moguls and aerials competitions with the top athletes in the country. There was a live band, competing local ski hero Sho Kashima who podiumed twice, fireworks, and a lot of love from the crowd to watch the action go down. Video.
13. High Roller Hold ‘Em – The coolest snowboarding event I’ve ever been to, guests shared my excitement as Shaun White hosted ten of the top big air snowboarders in a competition combining Texas Hold ‘Em poker and big tricks on a massive jump. Streaming live on ESPN3, the event was huge with $50,000 was given out as prizes. The tricks were impressive, and I’m sure we’ll see this one again next year. Chas Guldemond ending up taking 1st place and took home a large check. Video.
14. Peak Performance – This 3-day camp helped skiers and riders take their snow skills to the next level with Heaveny’s top-of-the-line instructors, the instructors that teach the other instructors. We heard great things from the guests that took the 3-day class, which including a lot of new friends made between the coaches and the people in the class, ski time, excellent ski and snowboarding tips, and food/drink meet-ups. Video.
15. Gunbarrel 25 – Another local favorite, this year’s Gunbarrel 25 took place down the infamous face, down the top of Gunbarrel and then East Bowl. Famous skier Glen Plake greeted everyone and led the pack of 200 people that lapped the moguls all day long. Prizes and t-shirts were awarded. Video.
16. Echo projects – This year financial contributions, thousands of hours of volunteer help was put into the community, and environmental projects took place throughout the season. Lots of employees and people in the community chipped in to make it all happen. Learn more about Echo here.
17. Maxim Heavenly Angel Contest – Heavenly teamed up with Maxim Magazine to find the next Heavenly Angel. Hundreds of people applied, the voters casted their favorites and one was chosen to come out to Heavenly to do a photo shoot and get a spot in one of Maxim Magazine’s issues.
18. Epic Wishes – This new campaign let guests write their Epic Wishes on the Heavenly facebook tab, and the mountain would make those wishes happen for free. Numerous early-ups were granted, along with grooming cat rides, ski lessons and VIP treatment at Unbuckle apres parties.
19. GoPro Hunts – Since Vail Resort’s partnership with GoPro, there was a GoPro hunt on the mountain which let guests see clues on Twitter and find the GoPro’s locations on the mountain. We hope to have more contests like these in the future.
20. Hunts for the best breakfast sandwiches – Since day 1, there has been competition between the Boulder, Stagecoach and California Main Lodge breakfast sandwiches. Which one is the best you ask? We will have to get a poll going for next year to prove the ultimate champion.
Well we hope you had a great season too, and thanks for sharing it with us. We can’t wait to see you next year and do it all again.
Still need to buy your 2013-2014 season pass? Check here for all of your inexpensive options and feel free to call us at 1-800-HEAVENLY or 775-586-7000. You can start using it this summer.
Summer operations go from May 25-27 and then start 7 days a week June 14, 2013.
See you at Heavenly!
Heavenly Mountain powder March 7, 2013.