Imagine yourself enjoying a great bottle of wine while you wiggle your toes in the sand and look out at a flaming red sunset over Lake Tahoe. Now add in your favorite friends and family and an amazing theatrical production. You have the makings of a perfect Tahoe evening; for one more week at least because I’m referring to the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival (Shakie by the Lakie) at Sand Harbor State Park.
This season, the production features “The Two Gentlemen of Verona, ” Shakespeare’s romantic comedy about two best buddies whose friendship is threatened by their love for the same woman.
The costumes are gorgeous, the set is impressive, and the acting is world-class. They also infuse the performance with live musical acts, adding to the overall energy of the production.
Even if you aren’t into Shakespeare, this is a one-of-a-kind Tahoe activity that you have to experience at least once. My husband wasn’t thrilled about the idea of going to this initially, but after an adult beverage and an unobstructed view of Lake Tahoe, he was perfectly content.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind if you are planning to go:
* There is food for sale at the venue but you are allowed to bring in your own, so load up that cooler.
* Alcoholic beverages cannot be brought in but they have cocktails, beer and wine for sale at the venue. In fact, they even have a cozy bar set up next to the stage.
* There isn’t a bad seat in the house so no need to splurge on the more expensive tickets, you can see just fine from the Upper Gallery.
* If you do sit in the Upper Gallery, there are chairs provided but you can also bring a blanket and spread out on the sand if you prefer (a great option for families).
* Unless you majored in English Literature, you may want to read the synopsis of the story in the playbill. Otherwise it can be hard to follow what is going on.
A full schedule, tickets and details about the performance and venue can be found on the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival website. Productions run through this Sunday, August 26 and won’t be back until next year. Enjoy the show!